Home Schooling Information
The following are three organizations we are currently working with very closely. All three have excellent reputations. Not all home schooling options are equal; these are three that we strongly recommend! These are not the cheapest (although their pricing structures are among the best), nor always the simplest options, but they do deliver the quality we look for from a distance-learning program. Each of the following has something different to offer. All offer AP’s and may offer dual credits.
- Biblical integration is intentional throughout the curriculum.
- Their primary emphasis is the traditional teacher-assisted (daily interaction w/ instructor), live online course.
- Teachers are committed full-time as instructors.
- Courses are structured around a semester system. They do not require students to complete an entire semester course. Students can enroll in their program for 12 weeks (one RVA school term) and then pay a prorated amount for the weeks taken ($130/term per course). Units can be resequenced to better align with units missed while away from RVA. Since this is a live online course, students cannot just join at any stage of the course, or extend much beyond the termination date of the course. Flexibility in terms of timing for the beginning of the course and the completion of the course is therefore somewhat limited.
- Canadian and IGCSE course work is supported as well.
- Cost is $2,300 for the year for 6 full credit courses ($385/full credit course w/ their low income scholarship), plus costs of texts. There is also a non-teacher directed, independent study option, but this is only given credit through RVA if taken while a student is under the supervision of RVA.
- The curriculum utilizes the Florida virtual school curriculum as a foundation; this is carefully aligned with US National Education Standards. Sevenstar has enhanced this foundation by emphasizing Biblical worldview integration in their final curriculum design.
- The curriculum is designed to allow for tremendous flexibility in pacing. Although the course is teacher-directed, it is not a live online course as much as it is an independent, well-supported delivery system utilizing thorough integration of technology in the form of streaming video and interactive exercises. Students can also engage in the class with other students through threaded discussions. Teacher assistance is provided.
- They do not require students to complete an entire semester course. Students can enroll in their program for 12 weeks and then pay a prorated amount for the weeks taken ($163/term per course, as long as they mention their affiliation with RVA). Units can be resequenced to better align with units missed while away from RVA.
- Cost is $2,595 for the year for 6 full credit courses ($490/full credit course if taken individually). All resources are delivered online so no extra costs or time involved in acquiring texts, CD’s, etc.
- There is also less expensive option ($995 for 5-6 full year courses), that is delivered by trained personnel external to Sevenstar. This option only receives credit if taken while the student is under the supervision of RVA.
- This curriculum is delivered in an online or print (correspondence course) format. It is a secular curriculum.
- Students have a full year from the date of enrollment to complete full unit courses, allowing for tremendous flexibility in pacing.
- Courses are structured around a semester system and students are required to complete the entire semester in order to receive credit, therefore cost is fixed. This can create a challenge for those who only require a term’s worth of credit. The course must be taken as designed, units cannot be resequenced.
- The online option can be taken with e-grading (all grading is done online via objective tests (i.e. multiple choice, T/F, etc.). Feedback is immediate. Grading can also be taken as e-grading+ where written responses are also required. Feedback is provided within days of receipt of work. Teacher assistance is provided.
- The print option is ideal for those in the bush where online courses are not an option. The interaction with the “instructor” is obviously severely limited and feedback is delayed. They are willing to allow communication via email for our situation, rather than requiring all communication via snail mail as with many of their students Stateside.
- Cost is $1680 for the year for 6 full credit courses ($140/semester course if taken individually), plus costs of texts and resource materials.