RVA Online: High School (9-12)
RVA Online supports a full high school course regimen in an e-learning format.
Our priority is to enable our students to continue their planned sequence of education toward either the College Prep Diploma or the General Education Diploma.
(student login required)
“I’m looking forward to trying different teaching techniques to help students interact with our texts and engage in deeper thinking.” –Kristy Faber, RVA teacher
RVA Online Instructional Format
High school students will access curriculum and submit assignments online through Moodle. Instruction could involve video or audio lectures (with transcripts provided to accommodate bandwidth concerns), teacher demonstrations, and discussion forums.
While students must log into Moodle and work on assignments regularly, all classes are asynchronous.
Minimum requirements: computer or RVA tablet; internet access of 3G or better for a portion of each day, five days per week; the ability to scan/photograph work for submission. While a printer is not required, some students may find it helpful to occasionally print a document for classwork.
RVA will issue school tablets to any new students and incoming ninth graders able to come to campus to pick one up.
Let us help.
If the technology requirements are an issue for you, please contact us at [email protected].
Please read the FAQ sections below, then contact Courtney Schmidt at [email protected] with additional concerns.
General RVA Online FAQ
- When do first term classes begin? The 2020-21 school year will begin as scheduled on August 31, 2020. Instruction for the entire term will be online, with no in-person classes.
- Will RVA host an orientation for new students? NSPO (New Student/Parent Orientation) will not take place on campus in August. We are still exploring the possibility of an online welcome/orientation.
- Can my student study online with RVA from our passport country? As long as you are able to meet the technology requirements, students may study with us regardless of location.
- What is the cost of RVA Online? Tuition fees remain the same for this term, and capital development fees will be assessed at a 50% discount. (Room and board will not be charged.)
- What if I can’t meet the technology requirements for online learning? Please email [email protected] with the specifics of your situation. We hope to find a way to help you.
Online High School FAQ
- Do students need to access RVA Online on designated days of the week and/or during specific hours of the day? No. RVA Online is asynchronous, meaning that students may study on their own schedule. Students should expect to study online about five days per week in order to read/view lectures, work through all of their course material, participate in discussions, and meet ongoing deadlines for assignments.
- Will RVA issue school tablets to high school students who need them? Yes. If students/families are able to get to campus, we will issue tablets to new high schoolers, incoming freshmen, and students returning from home assignment.
- What is the format of RVA Online? RVA teachers deliver instruction and course material through a learning management system called Moodle. Each teacher has structured his or her online curriculum to enable a seamless return to the classroom when students come back to campus.
- Do classes rely on an independent, self-taught approach? No. Our teachers provide all instruction (often through video/audio lectures), keep online office hours, and are available to help students with individual questions. Parents may be asked to proctor tests, but are not expected to homeschool their students, nor are students expected to self-teach.
- Would interruptions in Wi-Fi connectivity present a problem? No. If students need additional time to complete assignments due to a prolonged outage, please contact teachers.
- Do assignments have deadlines for completion? Yes. Teachers assign deadlines to keep students on track with each class.
- I have a question about my course schedule or required credits. Whom should I contact? Please email Mr. Nelson at [email protected] with all schedule or credit-related questions.